Monday, June 29, 2009

For the love of a grilled cheese sammich

I've never done anything this audacious, but I do the know the feeling at a much smaller scale. After four hours in the saddle, sometimes there's nothing better than a warm, flat Coke.

A Run That Lasts 100 Miles

A grilled cheese sandwich may seem like the least likely of bliss-inducers. But there it was, handed to me by an aid-station volunteer. After one bite, I sincerely felt that that sandwich, probably quite ordinary in the real world I had left behind more than 13 hours earlier, on a sunny Friday morning in Dayton at the start of the Bighorn Trail 100, was perhaps the best thing I’d ever tasted. I savored every greasy crumb.
Kirk Johnson, after completing the 100 mile Bighorn Trail 100 in Wyoming.

More here.

No comments: