Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tamale Lasagna

Sometimes a mistake turns out pretty darn good.

Seems I got me some bad corn tortillas. Didn't check the date, a tad on the stale side.

So when I tried to make My Kitchen in the Rockies' enchiladas, the tortilla just crumbled when I tried to roll them up.

The horror, the horror!

Ahhh, but all is not lost. Simple fix. Instead of rolling them up into enchiladas, layer the tortillas a la lasagna. The corn will get a bit mushy from the salsa, and will ever-so-slightly resemble a tamale.






Follow their recipe, right up to the point where you assemble the ingredients.

(I really like her tomatillo-chile sauce. Nice and tangy. Made a double batch, and got half in the freezer ready for the next "forgot to plan dinner" moment.)

Then, instead of stuffing the tortilla and layering them in the dish, do this instead:

1. Pour the tomatillo sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, just enough to cover it.

2. Cover that with the corn tortillas that wouldn't cooperate before. (That'll teach 'em, not wanting to roll up on command.)

3. Layer veggies with sauce, tortillas, cheese, meat with sauce, tortillas, etc, until you get even with the top of the pan or run out of food, whichever comes first.

For the cheese, it's great if you can get some real Mexican quesos, but if you can't, just use mostly cheddar with a bit of something tangy, like feta or goat, mixed in.

After your last layer of corn tortillas, spread a little more cheese and then enough sauce until it soaks through the top layer.

4. Cover with foil and bake at 350ยบ for 20-30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.

5. Let cool for 5 minutes, just long enough for the cheese to set, then slice and serve like you would lasagna.

Salud!

3 comments:

muddywaters said...

I have the same problem rolling corn tortilla. I find that dunking them in some warm chicken broth right before rolling them helps.

This still looks good.

Mary said...

This is a really great recipe. This is my first visit to your blog. I had intended only to say hello and then move on. I, instead, started reading your earlier posts and stayed far longer than I had intended. I love your recipes, but am really delighted by the tone of your blog. I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

The Training Table said...

Thanks Mary. It's been a work in progress, for sure. Started out as more of a fitness and training blog, and I only started this site to support another site that wasn't as slick as Blogger. But that project kinda dried up, and I never quite turned this one off. Cheers!